I live in an omnivore household. So when my my meat-and-potato-“what-is-a-vegan?”- “your’re-just-a-new-age-hippie” husband made this for me, I humbly thanked him for the sandwich – gluten and all! And you know what? It tastes darn good! Recipe below!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large portabella mushroom (rinsed well, sliced thin)
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms (rinsed well, sliced thin),
- 2 tbsp. vegan Worcestire Sauce (e.g. Annie’s)
- 1 small green pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 large onion (sliced thin)
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 4 – 5 slices of vegan cheese (e.g Daiya Mozzarella and Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda)
- 1 or 2 hoagie (sub) rolls
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Your heat should be medium high.
- Add all mushrooms and sautee for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- And in your sliced green pepper and onion, sautee for about 5 minutes.
- Add in your Worcestershire sauce along with salt and peppr to taste and continue to sautee until veggies are tender (oinions should be translucent). Turn off burner once cooked, top with cheese and place lid on pan (so the cheese can melt).
- If you like your bread toasted, you may do so in the oven under the broiler or (like my husband did it) on the stove on our square griddle pan.
- Put your roll (toasted or untoasted) on a plate and carefully spread open, leaving of roll bottom intact. Using a spatula scoop your mushroom cheeze stayke into your roll. Top with ketchup if desired and enjoy!